Kenya pipeline explosion kills sponsored child
September 16, 2011
NAIROBI, Kenya – A CFCA sponsored child has died after a gas pipeline explosion on Sept. 12 in a highly populated slum in Nairobi.
Sponsored child Francis Njau passed away yesterday at Kenyatta National Hospital while undergoing treatment in the intensive care unit.
Francis, 17, lived at Shangilia Home, an orphanage outside the slum, but was in the slum when the explosion occurred. Francis was waiting to enter a technical college.
CFCA has notified Francis' sponsor of his death.
"The Sinai slum was built directly above a pipeline that transports petroleum to Tanzania," said Regina Mburu of the CFCA communications center in Nairobi.
Mburu said leaks in the pipeline developed because people would tap into the pipeline to retrieve gasoline in order to cook.
The death toll rose to 96 people Thursday, with more than 100 people hospitalized, according to a CNN report.
Please join the CFCA worldwide community in praying for Francis and his family as well as the people of Nairobi in this time of tragedy.